Saturday, December 12, 2009

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending!...Carl Bard

For the past decade, I've been (and still am) totally dedicated to building a successful Atlanta based, national recruitment firm. It has been so much fun, learning tons and working with many wonderful employees and clients. During this time, I paid little attention to my health. Frankly I would hear about people dropping dead during a run or work out and I was often heard around the office saying that I thought working out was bad for your health. I never worried about it and thought I'll always be healthy. And I am healthy but one day in January, I was tired of being fat and from that grew this new passion.

In early January 2009, I woke up one morning and was tired of being overweight. I had a big butt and wanted it gone. I lost weight before but didn't keep it off; gained it back plus some. I never worked out; totally initimidated of even the thought of walking into a gym. Something that morning told me I need to exercise too this time around. I searched online for the solution and I was really lucky that I connected with Dan McGrath and Body Solutions Atlanta. This is how my journey to better health began (and now I'm obsessed or possessed - not sure which).

For weight loss, I began a strict diet - 3 meals plus 2-3 small snacks; cut down my portions; cut out all the junk (fast food, eating dinner out every night); made sure I was eating fruits, veggies, protein, some carbs early in the day and drinking lots of water (I never drank water prior). And exercise. I work out with Dan 3x per week for balance/flexibility and strength and have cardio homework 5x per week (some form of cardio for 60 mins). I journal all my eating and frankly, I log all my workouts (I said I was possessed). Most importantly, I get results. Six months and I lost 50 lbs and I've now kept it off for 4 months. All good and I love it. But that's just the beginning for me. The goal setting continued.

I wanted to do a breast cancer walk. I convinced my niece and nephew to do it with me. I trained for months and was so scared but in October, we finished 10 miles (and raised over $2500). I was amazed and excited. Next I wanted to run one mile; that's all, just one mile. I reached that goal on Thanksgiving morning. There are more goals now but that will wait for another day.

What's next you ask? This question leads me to this blog - What's the Skinny? During my journey to better health, I've learned from, been inspired and motiviated by so many people so now's my chance to give back. I don't have all the answers, by far, but I do have lots of questions and some tips and thoughts that helped me along the way. Maybe they'll insprire and help you?!!

This past year has truly been life changing and I'm having fun, reaching new heights. I owe a great deal of thanks & gratitude to one of my biggest supporters and cheerleader - Dan McGrath; as well as my coworkers, friends & family.

So What's the Skinny?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...."Comment As" - select either Name/URL (name only required) or Anonymous. Thanks!